Sept 22: Today was a rough day. Alex woke up in terrible pain. It broke our hearts to watch him. The nurses and doctors struggled to find a medicine that would help him cope. A parent should not have to watch their child suffer. This created feeling that I cannot express right now. It was horrible. My worst nightmare become reality. I asked God to let ME take his place. It was unbearable.
They gave him some new medication and that helped. Today, we had a CT scan again. Thy needed Alex to be perfectly still for this, so they gave him anestesia (spelling?). He was gone for a while, then Sasha and I went down to the recovery to stay with him. It took him a while to recover. His vital signs were good, but we were a little nervous all the same. I took an orange ice pop and put it to his mouth and he immediately reacted! It was something to see!
They found more, very small tumors in the lungs. 4 of them, 2 in each side. Quite small. The doctors believe that the chemo will destroy these and surgery will not be needed. However, this is evidence of the cancer starting to spread.
IT was a blow to be sure. We saw the CT scan and the oncologist, Dr. Karen Effinger (a great lady!) explained it to us.
But the day got better. They figured it out the medication. Alex was back to about 50%. He actually started smiling. He is so very sensitive still about being touched down low. He would only shake his head ast night, but by dinner time he was enjoying Thomas the Tank Engine and eating Orange Ice popsicles, and eating other food (yay!) , making up for lost time. The day ended much better!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Paul, never knew you all that well, but my heart is pouring out love, compassion and good thoughts to you and your family. Happy the day ended well. It will be the little things that you will appreciate so much more as you go through this. Praying hard for a quick recovery. Nathan and I have you guys at the top of our nightly prayer list. I am sure many people are sending good thoughts your way. I know God will provide the inner strength needed to get through this. Lean on Him, and I hope this is a good outlet for you. http://www.caringbridge.org/ is a good site too, if you want to delve into it more.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes and Prayers, Karen Harder-Sittel
Dear Paul and Sasha,
ReplyDeleteI would like you to know that my prayers and thought are with you!
I know you have a long road ahead of you and I can relate to the emotions you are feeling right now....we were in your shoes about 4 years ago when my step-son Lucas was rushed to Lucille Packard Children's Hospital after a blood test came back positive for Leukemia. Today Lucas is 13 years old. He is a very healthy TEEN! Doing all and everything a teen does to drive his parents crazy! :) And we are so thankful for that!
The great thing about children is that as long as they are not feeling pain they will have a smile on the face. When feeling well they will forget they are even sick! I am sure Alex is going to love the game room they have at the Hospital...I'll love to come and play there with him when he is able to do so!
I would also like to come and visit him if possible to give his Birthday present! My e-mail is vargas0480@sbcglobal.net.
Dear Alex,
I can't wait to see you running down the hallway asking me for one more hug!
Love,
Ms. Renata